Thursday, July 14, 2011

Chess Guiness Record attempt for Cebu

I have read from yesterday's news from Sun Star about Cebu's attempt for the Guinness World Record for the largest number of participants in chess tournament on November 19, 2011 at the Cebu City Sports Center.  I was particularly amazed at what i read about chess 'coz i have a long lost deep passion for chess.  I used to play chess with my father and my cousin but when they stop playing because of work, i was left with no one to play with.
Chess


I remembered asking my friends and classmates to play with me but they reasoned out that they do not know how to play chess.  So i offered to teach them how to play chess, but chess doesn't seem to interest them.  So i eventually stopped playing chess and used my chessboard as a battlefield and the chess pieces as my armies among all other toys then.  I just don't see that much Cebuanos playing chess, more so young people of my age playing chess back then.  But I have not totally outgrown my passion for chess, so i am elated at this news which aims to promote chess in the grassroots level among the Cebuanos.

Krasnoyork City in Russia is the current record holder with 1,214 participants in a chess tournament last June 2, 2007.  The Cebu City Sports Commission is eyeing for 30,000 players in its bid to break the Guinness World Record.  The World Record is not the primary aim of the said bid though.  Promoting the sports of chess in the grassroots level is the main purpose of the event.

According to Mr. Ed Hayco of the Cebu City Sports Commission its grassroots program (which was launched a day earlier) will start within the classroom setting, then among schools, then in the city.  The finals will be on November 19 and the first tournament will be on August 27, 2011.  The program also wants to teach these children to learn how to handle defeat and winning as the sports of chess is a good training ground for building the character of a person.

This is such a laudable campaign by the Cebu City Sports Commission, because i grew up seeing not that much enthusiasts in the sports of chess in Cebu because it was not promoted well, even in schools.  But now that there is much support from the public sector i'm sure Cebuanos will learn to embrace this beautiful sport of the mind.  Just have an open mind bai! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...